We’ve taken guesswork out of finding the best car insurance companies by analyzing important factors that will affect your customer experience.
We evaluated large auto insurance companies based on average rates for a variety of drivers, coverage features available, levels of complaints, grades for collision claims from auto body repair professionals and how understandable the insurers’ websites are. See our top picks below.
|Best Car Insurance All State In Usa Car Insurance Near Me|
Finding the best car insurance often means looking for an affordable policy, but you should also consider the quality of service you receive. After all, the best company is one that will be there when you need it.
Our Best Car Insurance Companies for 2022 use pricing data and real customer feedback to help you find the best car insurance company for you.
Why Do People Shop for New Car Insurance?
Shopping around for car insurance can result in savings, but many car owners renew their policies each year without checking prices from other insurance companies.
A March 2022 RK RAIHAN Advisor survey of 2,000 drivers asked what would motivate them to shop for a new car insurance policy. More than half said any of these three reasons would get them to shop around:
- A bad experience with a car insurance claim (55%)
- Looking for a better price (54%)
- Current company doesn’t have the coverage types I want (52%)
Older drivers (ages 58 to 76) chose price as the No. 1 reason to shop around, while bad claims experiences and coverage types were tops for younger drivers (ages 18 to 25).
Best Car Insurance All State In Usa | Car Insurance Near Me
|State||Cheapest company for good drivers||Average annual rate|
|Louisiana||Louisiana Farm Bureau||$2,438|
|Mississippi||Direct General Insurance||$1,026|
|Nebraska||Farmers Mutual of Nebraska||$1,368|
|New Jersey||Plymouth Rock||$1,160|
|South Carolina||American National||$721|
|Texas||Texas Farm Bureau||$1,035|
The average annual rate is based on large insurers in each state for liability coverage of 100/300/100, uninsured motorist coverage and collision and comprehensive insurance for a 2021 Toyota RAV4.
Best car insurance list | How Much Does Car Insurance Cost?
|Company||Average annual car insurance cost for good drivers||Average monthly car insurance cost for good drivers|
More About Geico Car Insurance
Geico Car Insurance Discounts
- Vehicle equipment discounts: Does your car have some of the latest safety features such as side airbags or full front-seat airbags, anti-lock brakes or an anti-theft system? If so, you could save up to 40% off the medical payments or personal injury protection portion of your policy.
- Discounts for driving history and habits: If you have a good driving record and are accident-free for five years you can receive up to 26% off most coverages. Also, if you and your passengers wear seat belts, you can save up to 15% off the medical payments or personal injury protection portion of your policy.
- Driving course discounts: If you complete a defensive driving course, you can save on your premium.
- Drivers education discount: If you have a young driver on your policy who completes a driver’s education course, you may be eligible for discounts on most of your coverage types.
- Good student discount: For drivers who are between age 16 and 24 and enrolled in school full-time, you might be able to receive a discount if they get a B average or better.
- Federal employee discount: Whether you’re an active or retired federal employee, you can receive up to 8% off of your auto insurance premium.
- Membership and employee discounts: Geico has partnered with more than 500 alumni associations, fraternities and sororities, and professional organizations to offer discounts to its members.
- Military discount: For those who are on active duty, retired from the military, or a member of the National Guard or Reserves, you might be eligible for a discount of up to 15% on your total car insurance premium.
- Multi-vehicle discount: You can save when you insure two or more vehicles with Geico.
- Multi-policy discount: You can save when you bundle your auto insurance with other types of insurance you buy through Geico, such as homeowners, condo, renters or mobile home insurance. While Geico itself does not underwrite these other insurance types, they are available through the Geico agency.
More About Nationwide Auto Insurance
Nationwide Auto Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy discount: You can save on both your home and auto insurance policies when you bundle them together.
- Accident-free and safe driver discounts: If you have a clean driving record you could receive a discount.
- Defensive driving discount: This is a discount for completing a state-approved safety course.
- Good student discount: If you have a young driver between the age 16 to 24 who has a “B” average or better in high school or college, you could be eligible for savings.
- Anti-theft discount: Ask about this discount if your vehicle is equipped with certain anti-theft devices.
- Easy pay sign-up discount: This is a one-time discount for setting up an automatic payment from your bank.
- Paperless discount: You can get a discount for receiving your insurance documents and bills electronically.
More About Travelers Car Insurance
Travelers Car Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy discount: If you bundle your auto insurance with other types of insurance (like homeowners insurance) you can save up to 13% on your auto insurance policy.
- Multi-car discount: This is a discount for customers who have multiple cars on one auto insurance policy.
- Homeownership discount: Do you own a home or condo? If so, you can save up to 5% off your auto insurance.
- Safe driver discount: For drivers with no accidents, violations or major comprehensive claims for the past three years, you could save up to 10%, or up to 23% for the past five years.
- Continuous insurance discount: Drivers who have no gaps in auto insurance coverage could save up to 15%.
- Hybrid or electric vehicle discount: Ask about this if you own or lease a hybrid or electric car.
- New car discount: You could save up to 10% for owning a newer model car that’s three years old or less.
- ETF, paid in full and good payer discounts: You could receive discounts up to 15% for setting up automatic payments, paying in full or always paying on time.
- Early quote discount: If you get a Travelers auto insurance quote before your current policy with another company expires, you could save between 3% and 10%.
- Good student discount: Do you have a high school or college student on your policy who maintains a “B” average or better? If so, you could qualify for an 8% insurance discount.
- Student away from home discount: If you have a college student on your policy who goes to school at least 100 miles away and won’t be driving your cars, you could save up to 7%.
- Driver training discount: In an effort to encourage young drivers to work on their driving skills, Travelers offers up to 8% off if your young driver takes a qualified training course.
More About USAA Car Insurance
USAA Auto Insurance Discounts
- Safe driver discount: Do you have a clean driving record for the past five years? If so, you could save money.
- Defensive driver discount: This is a discount for taking an approved course to improve your driving skills.
- Driver training discount: Are you younger than age 21? Drivers under 21 can take a basic driving course and save money on their USAA auto insurance policies.
- Good student discount: Ask about this discount if your high school or college-age child maintains good grades.
- New vehicle discount: For cars that are three years old or newer, you can qualify for this discount.
- Multi-vehicle discount: Look for this price break if you have two or more vehicles on a policy.
- Annual mileage: Based on the number of miles you drive per year, you may qualify for a discount.
- Vehicle storage: When you store your vehicle, you can save up to 60% on your auto insurance. This is especially useful for military members on deployment.
- Family discount: If your parents have USAA insurance, you can save on your premium.
- Military installation discount: When you garage your car on the base you could save up to 15% on comprehensive coverage.
- Length of membership savings: Look for this discount if you maintain coverage with USAA for several years.
More About Auto-Owners Car Insurance
Auto-Owners Car Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy discount: If you have other policies (such as a home insurance policy) with Auto-Owners, you can qualify for a discount on your auto policy.
- Payment history discount: You can receive a discount if you paid your policy on time for the last 36 months.
- Green discount: You’ll be eligible for this discount if you go paperless and pay your bill online.
- Life multi-policy discount: You can receive this discount if you bundle a qualified life insurance policy with your auto policy.
- Paid-in-full discount: You’ll be eligible for this discount if you pay your annual premium in full and on time.
- Advance quote discount: This discount is for new customers who request a quote before the effective date of their policy.
- Multi-car policies: You can get a discount if you insure two or more cars under the same policy.
- Safety features discounts: If you have safety features installed in your car like airbags or anti-lock brakes, you could qualify for a discount.
- Good student discount: You may be eligible for up to a 20% discount if your high school or college-age driver maintains at least a “B” average.
- Student away at school discount: If your student is attending a school at least 100 miles from home and without a vehicle, you may qualify for a discount.
- Teen driver monitoring discount: Ask about this if your car has a permanently installed GPS.
More About State Farm Car Insurance
State Farm Auto Insurance Discounts
- Safe driver discount: Whether you maintain an accident-free driving record or educate yourself on best driving practices, you could receive a discount. For example, if you take a defensive driving course or have gone three years without a moving violation or at-fault accident, you could be eligible for a discount.
- Accident-free discount: If you drive three consecutive years without an accident, you may qualify for a discount.
- Good student discount: Do you have a full-time student on your policy who has a B average or better? If so, you could save up to 25%. And the discount can stay with your student ever after graduation (until they reach age 25).
- Student away at school discount: If a driver in your household is under age 25 and moves away to school, you could qualify for a discount.
- Safe vehicle discounts: For drivers who have newer vehicles with the latest safety features, State Farm offers insurance rewards. For example, if your vehicle was made in 1994 or after (depending on the make and model of the car), you could save up to 40% on medical-related coverage.
- Anti-theft discount: You could get a discount if your car has an alarm or other type of anti-theft device.
- Multi-vehicle discount: Look for this if two or more cars in your household are insured by State Farm.
- Multi-policy discount: You can save by bundling other types of insurance with your auto insurance, such as homeowners, renters, condo or life insurance.
- Loyal customer discounts. Customers who insure more than one vehicle or have other insurance types could land a loyalty discount. For example, drivers who insure at least two vehicles on the same policy could save as much as 20%, and drivers who bundle home, condo or life insurance with an auto insurance policy could save up to 17%.
- Defensive driving course discount: If you complete an approved defensive driving class, you could earn a discount around 10% to 15%.
- Driver training discount: Ask about this if your young driver (under age 21) completes a driver training course.
More About Allstate Car Insurance
All state Auto Insurance Discounts
- Early signing discount: If you sign up for your policy seven or more days before the start date, you could receive a discount.
- Responsible payer discount: You can qualify for a reduction if you haven’t received a cancellation notice within the past year.
- Multiple policy discount: You’re eligible if you have more than one Allstate policy, such as auto and homeowners insurance.
- New car discount: If you’re the first owner of a current model year car or one year prior, you can receive this discount.
- Anti-lock brake discount: Driving a car with anti-lock brakes can save you money on your auto insurance.
- Anti-theft discount: The discount may be applied if you have an anti-theft device in your car.
- Allstate eSmart discount: Save by signing up for an ePolicy and going paperless.
- Full Pay discount: Receive a discount when you pay your annual premium in full.
- EZ plan pay discount: Receive a discount by setting up an automatic payment plan.
- Safe driving club discount: Your driving may qualify you for the safe driving club and earn you a discount.
More About Erie Car Insurance
- Roadside service
- Transportation expenses and rental car coverage
- Lease loan protection
- Ridesharing coverage
Erie Auto Insurance Discounts
- Safe driving discount: This is for safe drivers with a clean driving record.
- Car safety equipment discount: You can get a discount if your car has safety features like factory-installed airbags, passive restraint, or anti-theft devices.
- Multi-car discount: Drivers who insure two or more vehicles under the same policy may be eligible for this discount.
- Multi-policy discount: Look for this if you bundle other insurance types (like homeowners insurance) with your Erie auto insurance.
- Reduced usage discount: If you don’t use your car for at least 90 consecutive days during your policy period, you could be eligible for this discount.
- Young driver discount: Do you have a driver who is under age 21, unmarried and lives with you? If so, you could save on your auto insurance policy.
- Annual payment plan: Look for savings if you pay your annual auto premium in one lump sum.
- College credit: If your college driver is away at school without access to your car, you may be eligible for a discount.
Factors That Impact the Cost of Car Insurance
- Your driving record
- Your age and years of driving experience
- Where you live
- Car insurance coverage selections
- Deductible amount (if you buy collision and comprehensive coverage)
- Vehicle model
- Your car insurance history, such as whether you’ve had continuous coverage or lapses
- Your credit-based insurance score (use of credit in calculating car insurance costs is banned in California, Hawaii, Massachusetts and Michigan)
How Can I Find the Best Price on Car Insurance?
1. Shop around
2. Ask about discounts
- By “bundling” multiple insurance policies from the same company, such as auto and home insurance.
- Insuring more than one vehicle with the same company.
- Qualifying for a good driver discount.
- If you have a student on the policy, getting a discount if they’re a good student.
- If you have a college student on the policy, snagging a discount if they’re away at school without a car (usually must be at least 100 miles away).
- Taking a defensive driving class if you are age 55 or older.
- Paying your car insurance bill in full for the term rather than monthly.